Periodontitis, or Pyorrhea, is a disease involving inflammation of the gums (gingiva), often persisting unnoticed for years or decades in a patient, that results in loss of bone around teeth.
This differs from gingivitis, where there is inflammation of the gingiva but no bone loss; it is the loss of bone around the teeth that differentiates between these two oral inflammatory diseases.
Defend against gum disease by:
- Brushing teeth after every meal.
- Checking to see if bleeding is present during or after brushing. If so you’ll need to brush and floss more often or more thoroughly and need your teeth cleaned professionally.
- Flossing at least once per day using proper flossing methods. Not flossing allows bacteria to build up to dangerous levels.
- Decreasing the quantity and frequency of your sugar consumption. Sugar helps plaque grow.
- Visiting your dentist twice a year.
- Using a high quality electric tooth bruth such as the Rota-Dent® toothbrush which has patented microfilament brush tips designed to reach underneath the gum line and in-between the teeth.
Dr. Streelman treats gum disease with root planning and scaling, antibiotics, and surgery when necessary.
Visit Dr. Steven Streelman at his state-of-the-art facility in Oceanside, CA for information on gum disease treatment and preventative general dentisty care. To learn more, call us at (760) 439-0600 or click here to request an appointment online.